Saturday, November 22, 2008
My Dad's Surgery
My dad had surgery the same day Madelyn went in for her shots. After years of laying out in the sun and refereeing soccer, he had a cancer spot on his leg that needed to be removed. I was at my parents house that night and they were about to leave for the surgery. I decided to bring Madelyn and go. More importantly, I decided to bring my camera as a little pay back. You see, my dad kept taking pictures of me in the hospital when I was getting my epidural. I thought taking pictures of him would be something he wouldn't like... well, I thought wrong. My dad, being the relaxed cool guy he is, did not care one bit . I was even allowed to go into the room with him. I took abut 35 pictures, and some were very gross (don't worry, they aren't in the post). They started off injecting his leg with something to numb it and then they were going to scrape the cancer out. I watched and took pictures the whole time. When the doctor got down to the fat cells he decided he need to actually cut the cancer out, which meant he would need to be stitched up in the end. It took over an hour from the first procedure to the second. When they were stitching him up it was difficult because the area did not have a lot of fat to pull the skin together. They really had to pull the skin together hard. I plan on printing out pictures to make a book for him and also one to take to school. I teach PE and think the kids would benefit from seeing real life pictures of cancer being removed because of long term sun exposure. The students have to watch a video at the beginning of the year about sun cancer and I think the pictures will have a big impact on them (more than the video does).



Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(60)
-
▼
November
(17)
- My Dad's Surgery
- More Pictures
- 2 Months Old
- Lately Madelyn and I have been getting ready for m...
- And the Results Are In...
- Madelyn Talking
- 5K Instead
- Thank You Grandma Leo
- Hanging Out With the Nimmons Before Bed
- Our Night Out
- Madelyn's Beach Time
- Dinner with the Clancy's
- Madelyn Paige Clancy
- We Voted, but That's Not All
- 1/2 Marathon
- Gloworm
- Halloween
-
▼
November
(17)
3 comments:
how can you write a so cool blog,i am watting your new post in the future!
It seems my language skills need to be strengthened, because I totally can not read your information, but I think this is a good BLOG
I think I come to the right place, because for a long time do not see such a good thing the!
Post a Comment