Monday, July 7, 2008

Glucose Test #1...

I have to go in for my 1 hour glucose test last week. I was assured by my doctor there was no need to fast (we will revisit this comment later), and a good thing because I am teaching summer school. I have been trying to eat very healthy- no fast food, veggies, chicken, salads, and fruit...Yes, I said fruit. Obviously a big mistake. I thought I was being good to little Madelyn by eating about 3 pieces of fruit a day (not hard to do when white nectarines and peaches are so tasty in the summer). Well, since you may see where this is leading, here it is. I scored too high on the glucose test. One, I think I should have made sure to fast, and two, I think all the fruit is not so good. Apparently fruit has a lot of sugar, which means a lot of carbs... oh, and three, I just found out he doctor's office is open on the weekend. This means I could have fasted, although with all the fuit I don't think it would have mattered.

Now I am excited to report that I get to stay at the doctors for 4 hours and take another glucose test(s). I really am so thrilled... I told Ryan before the first one that he should pray that I pass because he will have to go to the second with me and hang out at the doctors for 4 hours. It is not the 4 hours together that is a problem, but having to be at the doctors. I plan on going to my car in between blood drawings to lay down because I can only sit for so long before that pain in my left upper back reminds me it is there. I was going to pick a day where Ryan has the morning off to be with me, but then I thought that I would rather have a night off with him. I with milk the test though because I already informed Ryan "he owes me."

I am praying that I pass this one. I am not going to eat any fruit this week and stay away from my new treat, the Otter Pop. Any other advice????

1 comment:

Jillyboo said...

That is so funny. Only because I just went to the lab this morning to do the 3 hour test myself... after failing the first.
I am so sorry. It stinks, huhh? Bring a good book and lots of magazines. I also took time here and there and sat outside. All the blood drawing and fasting made me feel a little faint.
I will cross my fingers for you if you do the same for me!